- Export Oriented Unit
Export Oriented Unit (EOUs)
The EOU scheme was introduced in the year 1980 vide Ministry of Commerce resolution dated 31st December 1980. 100% EOUs in the jurisdiction of DC, SEEPZ-SEZ (Maharashtra, Goa and Union Territory of Dadra Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu):The Export Oriented Units (EOUs) enjoy a competitive advantage owing to the presence of the country’s largest airport and container terminal in the state.
The EOU scheme is complementary to the scheme for Free Trade Zone, Export Processing Zone. Units that are undertaking to export their entire production of goods are allowed to set up as an EOU.
The purpose of the scheme was basically to boost exports by creating additional production capacity, earn Foreign Exchange to the country, transfer of latest technology, stimulate direct investment and to generate additional employment.
Approval of New Units
Proposals to establish units under the EOU scheme with the automatic route are to be evaluated through the Unit Approval Committee, taking into consideration: -
- Residence proof regarding individual/partnership firms of all Directors/Partners. (Passport/ration card/driving licence/voter identification card or any other evidence at the discretion of The Development Commissioner);
- Marketing tie-ups
- If there are EOUs
- Inspection of the project's site by an officer;
- Return on Income Tax of all promoters in the past three years;
- Experience of promoters;
- The report of other DCs on whether an instance under the EOU scheme regarding the diversion of goods, etc., is pending.
When necessary, the above could be confirmed by a personal interview with the people who are the venture's sponsors. If the promoters are an established organisation, conducting a personal interview can be avoided.
The Unit Approval Committee shall meet every Monday. If there is no Development Commissioner, the next top officer from the zone will conclude it. The unit will inform the issues facing them before the meeting. Apart from the promoters, any other involved agency with whom the unit is having difficulties can also be referred to in meetings.
Recycling non-ferrous and ferrous metals will be evaluated only if the facility is equipped with an Ingot making facility. Also, be sure to avoid QR code fraud if you will receive payments online.
Sector-Specific Requirements for EOUs
- High-Grade Iron Ore: Proposals to export the High-Grade Iron Ore, i.e. 64% Fe and higher, are currently canalised through MMTC and exports of it are subject to the approval from the BOA. Iron ore with Goa source and Redi origin are exclusions.
- Coffee: Exports of coffee imported are subject to the approval of the Coffee Board under the relevant Act.
- Polyester Yarn: None of the factories that make polyester yarn, whether existing or newly developed - is permitted to conduct exports through a third party and must directly export.
- Textiles: Any activities related to the reprocessing of clothing no matter used or not; secondary textiles materials such as clippings, industrial wipers, rags, shoddy yarns, wool blankets or shawls and besides that, other recyclable textile materials don't have permission under EOU programs. The Board decides on extending the letters of Permission for an existing unit.
- Tea: In the case of teas, the business has to fulfil a minimum value addition of 50%.
- Segregation Activities: Segregation-related activities won’t come in the "manufacture" definition w.e.f. 1.4.2002. However, this activity will have permission to continue concerning units established before 1.4.2002 for five years, beginning from the commencement of commercial production. According to the current policy, the necessary inputs will also have permission with exemption benefits. However, the option of DTA sales under paragraphs 6.08 and 6.09 of FTP won’t have the Permission.
- Spices: Importation is permitted for export without or with tax/duty and compensation cess as defined in paragraphs 6.01(d) (ii) and (iii) of the FTP 2015-20 for the only purpose of value-added purposes such as grounding, crushing, sterilisation or the production of oleoresins, oils and not for basic cleaning, grading, packaging and so on. A minimum value enhancement of 15% is compulsory.
Benefits of Export Oriented Units
The Export Oriented Units enjoys the below following benefits
- EOUs has a permit to procure raw material or capital goods duty-free, either through import or through domestic sources;
- EOUs are eligible for reimbursement of GST;
- EOUs are eligible for reimbursement of duty paid on fuels procured from domestic oil companies;
- EOUs are eligible for claiming input tax credit on the goods and services and refund thereof;
- Fast track clearance facilities;
- Exemption from industrial licensing for the manufacture of items reserved for SSI sector.
For the status of EOU, the project must have a minimum investment of Rs.1 crore in plant and machinery. This condition does not apply for software technology parts, electronics hardware technology parks and biotechnology parks. Further, EOU involved in handicrafts, agriculture, animal husbandry, information technology, services, brass hardware and handmade jewellery does not have any minimum investment criteria.
To obtain EOU status, application for setting up of unit under EOU scheme must be made to the Board of Approval. In the case of approving, they provide validity of Letter of Permission for setting up EOU. The Letter of Permission will have an initial validity of 2 years to enable the unit to construct the plant and install the machinery. Further, a person can obtain an extension for a period of upto one year. On starting operation, in a period of 5 years, the EOU will have to achieve positive net foreign exchange earning cumulatively.
Applications for setting up of units under the EOU scheme, other than proposals for setting up of units in the services sector (except for R&D, software and IT-enabled services, or any other service activity delegated by BoA), shall be approved or rejected by the Units Approval Committee within 15 days as per criteria.
- For setting up an EOU application shall be file in ANF 6A (Applications should be in triplicate) to the Development Commissioner Officer. 2. Application shall be file alongwith a crossed Demand Draft of Rs. 5000/- drawn in favor of the pay & accounts officers, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Department of Commerce, payable at the Central Bank of India, Udhyog Bhawan, New Delhi. 3. Application for setting up of EOU shall be approved or rejected by Units Approval Committee within 15 days, as per the criteria specified in appendix 6A 4. Minimum investment in Plant & Machinery and Building should be as prescribed [This does not apply to already existing units and units present in Handicrafts/STP/EHTP/Floriculture/ Agriculture/Animal Husbandry/Aquaculture/ Information Technology/ services and other similar sectors as determined by BOA] MINIMUM INVESTMENT CRITERION Only projects with investment of Rs.1 crore and above in plant & machinery are considered. All goods and services except items that are prohibited in ITC (HS) are allowed to be imported or exported by the EOUs for their authorized operations subject to the condition that the provisions of any law in force would be applicable in such cases as well. Applications for setting up units under EOU scheme other than proposals for setting up of unit in service sector (except R&D, software and IT enabled services, or any other service activity as may be delegated by Board of Approval), shall be approved or rejected by Units Approval Committee within 15 days, as per criteria indicated in Appendix 6A and sector specific conditions relating to approval as in Appendix 6B.
- In other cases, approval may be granted by DC after clearance by BoA. APPENDIX 6A Appendix 6A, specify the criteria to be adopted by development commissioner for automatic approval of units under EOU scheme, which are as follows:- APPROVAL OF NEW UNITS: Proposals for setting up units under EOU scheme under automatic route shall be considered by the Unit Approval Committee taking into account the following: – (i) Residence proof in respect of individual/partnership firms of all Directors/Partners. (Passport/ration card/driving licence/voter identity card or any other proof to the satisfaction of Development Commissioner); (ii) Income Tax return of all the promoters for the last three years; (iii) Experience of the promoters; (iv) Marketing tie-ups; (v) In case of EOUs, inspection of the project site by an Officer; (vi) A report from other DCs as to whether any case under EOU Scheme in regard to diversion of goods etc. is pending. Wherever necessary, the above may be verified through Personal Interview with the promoters of the project. In the event of the promoters being a well-established entity, the procedure of personal interview may be dispensed with. The Unit Approval Committee shall meet on Monday, every week. In case of the absence of Development Commissioner, the meeting will be held by the next senior officer in the Zone. The unit shall intimate the problems being faced by them in advance. In the meetings, apart from the promoters, the other concerned agency with which difficulties are being faced by the unit, may also be called. Recycling of ferrous and non-ferrous metal proposals will be considered only if the unit has Ingots making facility and proposes to achieve value addition.
With the approval of DC, an EOU may opt-out of the scheme. These exits shall subject to a penalty of Excise and Customs duties and industrial policy in force. In case the unit has not achieved obligations, it shall be taxable to a penalty at the time of exit. In case of gems and jewellery unit ceasing its operation, the gold and other precious metals, gems, alloys and other materials available for the manufacture of jewellery, is given to an agency specified by DoC, at a price to be determined by that agency.
|A.R. SULPHONATES PVT.LTD.||AAACORP EXIM INDIA PVT.LTD|
|ABICOR BINZAL PRODUCTION (INDIA) PVT. LTD||AFRICURE PHARMACEUTICALS INDIA PVT. LTD.|
|AIM NONWOVENS & INTERIORS PVT LTD||ALL PACK PLASTICS|
|ALL TIME PLASTICS PVT LTD.||ALLIED INSTRUMENTS PVT. LTD|
|ALPHA FLOCK (INDIA) PVT LTD||ALPHA IMPEX PVT. LTD.|
|AMRIT GOLDIAM PVT. LTD.||APEX PRINTING SLEEVES INDIA PVT. LTD.|
|APEX PRINTING TECHNOLOGY INDIA PVT.LTD.||AQUAPHARM CHEMICAL CO.PVT.LTD.,|
|AQUAPHARM CHEMICALS PVT. LTD. (MAHAD UNIT)||ARKLITE SPECIALITY LAMPS LTD.|
|ARTIS TECHNICAL TEXTILE PVT. LTD.||ASB INTERNATIONAL PVT LTD|
|AUDAX PROTECTIVE FABRICS PVT. LTD.||AXIOM CORDAGES LTD.|
|AXIOM CORDAGES LTD.-100% EOU||B.R.STEEL PRODUCTS PVT.LTD.|
|BADVE HELMETS INDIA PVT. LTD.||BAG ELECTRONICS INDIA PVT. LTD.|
|BARCLAYS TECHNOLOGY CENTRE INDIA PVT. LTD||BEC CHEMICALS PRIVATE LIMITED|
|BEL OPTRONIC DEVICES LTD.,||BELLOTA AGRISOLUTIONS & TOOLS PVT. LTD.|
|BENZO CHEM INDUSTRIES PVT. LTD. (UNIT II)||BHARATI SHIPYARD LIMITED|
|BLISS GVS PHARMA LIMITED||BLISS GVS PHARMA LTD.|
|BLISS GVS PHARMA LTD.||BLOOM ENERGY INDIA PVT LTD|
|BORA AGRO FOODS||CAMLINE FINE SCIENCES LTD|
|CEAT SPECIALTY TYRES LTD.||CHANDRA PROTECO LIMITED|
|CHOWGULE & COMPANY PVT. LTD||CHOWGULE AND COMPANY LTD.|
|CIPLA LIMITED ( II )||CIPLA LTD. (RAIGAD)|
|CONCENTRIC PUPMS PUNE PRIVATE LIMITED||CONNOUGHT NETWORK SERVICES PVT LTD|
|COSMOS IMAGING PVT LTD||CROWN CHEMICALS PRIVATE LIMITED|
|DANA INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED||DANA INDIA TECHNICAL CENTRE PRIVATE LIMITED|
|DECCAN FINE CHEMICALS (INDIA) PVT. LTD.||DEMPO MINIG CORPORATION PVT.LTD.|
|DEVA DRILL TECH (I) LTD.||DIXIE AUTO ELECTRIC (INDIA PVT.LTD.|
|DODHIA TECHNO ENGINEERING PVT. LTD.||DREAM PLAST INDIA PVT. LTD.|
|DREAM PLAST INDIA PVT.LTD., UNIT II||DRT-ANTHEA AROMA CHEMICALS PVT. LTD. (UNIT I)|
|DUFLON INDUSTRIES PVT. LTD.|
|EDICON PNEUMATIC TOOL CO.PVT.LTD||EDR CONTINUOUS INFORMATION PVT LTD|
|ELITE PLAST AUTOSYSTEMS PVT. LTD.||ELSTEEL MODULER PRODUCTS INDIA PVT.LTD|
|EMCURE PHARMACEUITCALS LTD. UNIT III||EMCURE PHARMACEUTICALS LIMITED|
|EMCURE PHARMACEUTICALS LTD||EMH CRANE COMPONENTS PVT. LTD.|
|EVOTEC (INDIA) PVT. LTD.||FERRING THERAPEUTICS PVT. LTD.|
|FIBERWEB ( INDIA ) LTD||FIBERWEB (INDIA) LTD UNIT 1|
|FLAMINGO PHARMACEUTICALS LTD||FLAMINGO PHARMACEUTICALS LTD. (TALOJA)|
|FLORESSENCE PERFUMES PVT. LTD.||FONTASEY ENGINEERING EXPORTS PVT.LTD.|
|FORCAS IMPEX PVT LTD.||FORCE MTU POWER SYSTEMS PVT. LTD.|
|GLOBUS INTERNATIONAL COATERS PVT. LTD.||GALVI ENGINEERING PVT. LTD.|
|GARWARE BESTRETCH LIMITED||GARWARE TECHNICAL FIBERS LTD|
|GENOM BIOTECH PVT LTD||GEORGE PHILIPS MEDICAL ENGINEERING PVT. LTD.|
|GEW RADIATORS INDIA PVT. LTD||GIIAVA (INDIA) PVT. LTD.|
|GKB OPHTHALMICS LTD. UNIT I||GKB OPHTHALMICS LTD. UNIT II|
|GKB VISION PVT LTD||GKN Fokker Elmo India Pvt. Ltd.|
|GODAVARI BIOREFINERIES LTD.||GREENSPAN AGRI-TECH PRIVATE LIMITED|
|GTFL - 100% EOU(A DIVISION OF M/S. GARWARE TECHNIC||GUMPRO DRILLING FLUIDS PVT. LTD.|
|HALDEX INDIA PVT. LTD||HALLIBURTON TECHNOLOGY INDIA PVT. LTD.|
|HAWA VALVES (INDIA) PVT. LTD.||HELVOET RUBBER & PLASTIC TECHNOLOGIES (I) PVT. LTD|
|HIKAL LTD||HIKAL LTD.|
|HINDUSTAN UNILEVER LTD.||HITACHI AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS PUNE (INDIA) PVT. LTD.|
|HOPE(INDIA)POLISHINGWORKS PVT.LTD.,||HUGHES PRECISION MANUFACTURING PVT. LTD.|
|IMPEL RASAYAN PVT.LTD.||INDO SCHOTTLE AUTO PARTS PVT.LTD.|
|INDOWORTH INDIA LTD.||INFOSERVICES|
|INOXPA INDIA PVT. LTD.||INTEGRATED EQUIPMENT (INDIA) PVT. LTD.|
|INTERDRIL (ASIA) LTD.||INTERNATIONAL PACKAGING PRODUCTS PVT.LTD.,|
|INVENTYS RESEARCH CO. PVT. LTD.||ION EXCHANGE ( INDIA ) LTD.|
|JABIL INDIA MFG. PVT. LTD.||JABIL CIRCUIT INDIA PVT. LTD.|
|JABS INTERNATIONAL PVT. LTD.||JAI CORP LIMITED|
|JAMES WALKER INMARCO INDUSTRIES PVT. LTD.||JAY PRECISION PRODUCTS INDIA PVT LTD|
|JELL PHARMACEUTICALS PVT. LTD.||JOHN DEERE INDIA PRIVATE LIMITTED UNIT III|
|JOHN DEERE INDIA PVT. LTD.||K S JEWELLERY&CO.|
|KCN EXPORTS LTD.||KEVA FRAGRANCES PVT. LTD|
|KIRAN MEDICAL SYSTEM LTD.||KOHINOOR ROPES PVT. LTD.|
|KRISHNA ANTIOXIDANTS PVT. LTD., CHIPLUN UNIT||KRISHNA ANTIOXIDANTS PVT. LTD., LOTE UNIT|
|KRISHNA KNITWEAR TECHNOLOGY LTD.||LAVINO KAPUR COTTONS PVT. LTD. UNIT II|
|LAXMI DENTAL EXPORT PVT LTD|
- Duty free imports or procurement from Bonded Warehouse /International Exhibitions of inputs, consumables, office or other capital goods (including second-hand Capital goods) etc. [vide notification No. 52/2003-Customs, dated 31.03.2003].
- Procurement of goods from Domestic Tariff Area without payment of Central Excise duty [vide notification No. 22/2003-Central Excise, dated 31. 03.2003].
- Supplies by DTA manufacturer are eligible for deemed export benefits under Chapter 8 of FTP, which include drawback, refund of Terminal Excise Duty and Issuance of Advance Authorisation enabling duty free import to the DTA supplier.
- Full reimbursement of Central Sales Tax on goods purchased from DTA against C-Form for manufacture of goods for export.
- Export Income exempted from payment of Income Tax (upto 31.3.11).
- DTA Sale (including advance DTA sale) upto 50% of F.O.B value of exports (i.e. Physical Exports) permitted on payment of Concessional rate of Central Excise duty[vide notification No. 23/2003-Central Excise, dated 31.03.2003].
- Only positive net foreign exchange earnings (NFE) to be achieved over a period of five years.
- (viii) Duty free goods (except Capital Goods) to be utilized over a period of 3 years.
- Export proceeds to be realized within a period of 12 months. Retention allowed upto 100% of export earnings in EEFC Account. (x) Supplies made in DTA under Paragraph 6.9 of FTP & Supplies to other exporting units/Bonded Warehouse are counted for the purpose of fulfillment of positive NFE.
- Goods allowed to be supplied duty free in DTA against Advance Authorization/ DFIA issued by DGFT.
- Job-work/sub-contracting for or from DTA permitted subject to fulfillment of certain conditions.
- Import/export of goods including precious goods permitted through personal carriage & Foreign Post Office.
- FDI upto 100% permitted as per the guidelines of Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
- Exemption from Industrial Licensing for manufacture of items reserved for SSI sector.
- Software Units allowed touse computer systems for training purposes (including commercial training).
- EOUs allowed to install one fax machine and two computers outside the bonded area of the unit.
- Depreciation upto 100% permissible on capital goods. On debonding, the duty to be paid on the depreciated value of the capital goods. LOCATION FOR EOU EOUs can be set up anywhere in the country and may be engaged in the manufacture and production of software, floriculture, horticulture, agriculture, aquaculture, animal husbandry, pisciculture, poultry and sericulture or other similar activities. However, it should be noted that in case of large cities where the population is more than one million, such as Bangalore and Cochin, the proposed location should be at least 25 km away from the Standard Urban Area limits of that city unless, it is to be located in an area designated as an “industrial area” before the 25th July, 1991. Non-polluting EOUs such as electronics, computer software and printing are exempt from such restriction while choosing the area. Apart from local zonal office and state government, setting up of an EOU is also strictly guided by the environmental rules and regulations. Therefore, an even if the EOU unit has fulfilled all locational policy but not suitable from environmental point of view then the Ministry of Environment, Government of India has right to cancel the proposal. In such situation industrialist would be required to abide by that decision.
UNIT APPROVAL COMMITTEE (UAC) For setting up a unit under EOU Scheme, approvals are given by the Unit Approval Committee, which is headed by the jurisdictional Development Commissioner and consists of SEZ officers, officers of the State Govt., and officer of jurisdictional Central Excise Commissionerate as members. Powers of the Unit Approval Committee, in brief, are as under:-
- To consider application for setting up an EOU under the automatic route.
- To consider and permit conversion of EOU to SEZ unit.
- To monitor the performance of EOUs.
- To grant all approvals and clearances relating to the establishment, changes in
- constitution or activity, operation of EOU and take action for violations, if any.
- To perform any other function as may be delegated by the Central Govt./State or its agencies.
- COFFEE: Export of imported coffee shall be subject to approval from Coffee Board under relevant Act.
- HIGH GRADE IRON ORE: Proposals for export of High-Grade Iron Ore i.e. 64% Fe and above, except iron ore of Goa origin and Redi origin are presently canalized through MMTC and its exports would be subject to approval of the BOA.
- POLYESTER YARN: None of the units making polyester yarn – existing or new – shall be permitted to do exports through third party and they have to export directly.
- TEXTILES: Activities pertaining to reprocessing of garments/ used clothing /secondary textiles materials / clipping/ rags/ industrial wipers/shoddy wool/ yarn/ blankets/ shawls and other recyclable textile materials will not be allowed under EOU schemes. Provided that extension of Letter of Permission for an existing unit shall be decided by the Board.
- TEA: In case of Tea, a minimum value addition of 50% shall have to be fulfilled.
- SEGREGATION ACTIVITIES: Segregation activities are not covered under the definition of “manufacture” w.e.f. 1.4.2002. This activity will, however, be allowed to continue in respect of units set up prior to 1.4.2002 for a period of five years from the date of commencement of commercial production. The necessary inputs would also be allowed with exemption benefits as per the existing policy. However, the facility of DTA sale under para 6.08 or 6.09 of FTP shall not be allowed.
- SPICES (COVERED BY CHAPTER 9 OF THE ITC (HS) CLASSIFICATIONS OF EXPORT & IMPORT ITEMS: i. Import of spices for export shall be permitted with or without payment of duties and/or taxes and compensation cess as provided under para 6.01(d) (ii) and (iii) of FTP 2015-20 only for value addition purposes like crushing/ grounding/ sterilization or for manufacture of oils and oleoresins and not for simple cleaning, grading, repacking, etc. ii. A minimum value addition of 15% shall have to be fulfilled LETTER OF PERMISSION (LOP) / LETTER OF INTENT (LOI) (a) On approval, a Letter of Permission (LoP) / Letter of Intent (LoI) shall be issued by DC / designated officer to EOU/ EHTP / STP / BTP unit. LoP /LoI shall have an initial validity of 2 years to enable the Unit to construct the plant & install the machinery and by this time the unit should have commenced production. In case the unit is not able to commence production in initial validity of 2 years, an extension of one year may be given by the DC for valid reasons to be recorded in writing. Subsequent extension of one year may be given by the Unit Approval Committee subject to condition that two thirds of activities including construction, relating to the setting up of the Unit are complete and Chartered Engineer‟s certificate to this effect is submitted by the Unit. Further extension, if necessary, will be granted by the Board of Approval. Once unit commences production, LoP / LoI issued shall be valid for a period of 5 years for its activities. This period may be extended further by DC for a period of 5 years at a time. (b) Proposals for setting up EOU requiring industrial licence may be granted approval by DC after clearance of proposal by BOA (as per Appendix 6 C of Appendices & ANFs) and Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion within 45 days on merits. (c) LoP /LoI shall specify item(s) of manufacture / service activity, annual capacity, projected annual export for first five years in dollar terms, Net Foreign Exchange (NFE) earnings, limitations, if any, regarding sale of finished goods, by-products and rejects in DTA and such other matter as may be necessary and also impose such conditions as may be required. (d) LoP /LoI issued to EOU / EHTP /STP /BTP units by concerned authority would be construed as an authorization for all purposes. Standard format for LoP for EOU is given in Appendix 6 D of Appendices & ANFs. (e) EOUs shall have separate earmarked premises for separate LoP. Similarly, EOUs may be approved on leased premises provided lease has been obtained from Government Department / Undertaking / Agency. However, in case lease is obtained from private parties, it shall have a validity period of five years from date of LUT and DC shall satisfy himself of genuine nature of lease. (f) On completion of approval period as provided for in Paragraph 6.05 of FTP, it shall be open to unit to continue under scheme or opt out of scheme. Where unit opts to continue, DC will extend approval period. If no intimation in this regard is received from unit within a period of six months of expiry of approval period, DC will take action, suo motu, to cancel approval under EOU scheme and take further action in this regard. Where units give their option to continue after expiry of six months as stipulated above, DC will grant extension after obtaining approval of BOA. LEGAL UNDERTAKING (LUT) (a) Approved EOU / EHTP / STP / BTP unit shall execute an LUT with DC/ Designated Officer concerned as in Appendix 6 E of Appendices & ANFs. (b) All EOU / EHTP / STP / BTP units should have permanent e-mail address. No LUT for new units shall be executed unless unit has its permanent e-mail address and digital signature on said e-mail ID. In event of an EOU not having permanent e-mail address and digital signature, further imports and DTA sale shall not be permitted by DC.
- The annual review of performance of each operational unit and its compliance with the conditions of approval shall be undertaken by the Development Commissioner before the end of the first quarter of the following financial year;
- A summary of annual performance review will be sent by each Development Commissioner to the Ministry of Commerce for information under the three formats indicated below latest by 30th September every year;
Proforma I: Comparative statement of performance and monitoring as compared to previous year;
Proforma II: Summary of annual performance of the EOU units, sector – wise with sectoral sub – totals.
Proforma III: Unit-wise statement on NFE showing the result of review.